Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A Sweeter Place

On Sunday night our church had an ice cream social before the evening service. What a wonderful time it was to just be at church with all the people you love and who love you! (and eat more ice cream than you really should) At the same time we also presented a lady in our church with a weekend trip to Pigeon Forge, TN. (the trip included spending money for her and her husband) You see this friend is pregnant. But this pregnancy has not gone as she would have planned it. Her child has some physical abnormalities. With the birth of any child life changes for the parents, but having a child with special needs the changes multiply. We wanted them to have some quality time before they were inundated with all of the doctors, appointments and needs of this child.

Last night I received a phone call from another friend. Our friend had been to the doctor and a heartbeat could not be found. They had taken her to the hospital to induce her labor. Her dream of this child had slipped away.

As of 1:00 this afternoon she had not made much progress in her labor. The doctor does not want to give her pitocin. On one hand I understand not wanting to put her through the agonizing contractions that pitocin brings, but on the other hand, the waiting is agonizing. My heart is breaking. I want to do something tangible for her. But I have nothing but love and prayers to offer. I cannot go see her. My husband is away today, and taking two small children would not bring her comfort.

Heaven is now a little sweeter. God is holding this precious little one, and He is holding my little one. What a longing I feel to be in that place where sickness, death and pain are not allowed to enter! To be with the ones I love who have gone before me or from whom I am separated from. To not have to endure the horrible pain and sadness that this earth holds. To be free for eternity and united with God and our loved ones. Oh, praise God! May His coming be soon!

No comments: