Monday, October 30, 2006

Autumn Leaves




Fall is here! I know it has been here for a while, but today was just one of those days that makes me appreciate the season. On the way home this evening, the smell of autumn leaves and logs burning in fireplaces filled my senses.


The weather today has been beautiful. It was in the mid 60's, and the sun was shining. The strong winds of the last few days had calmed. This is what I think of when I think of fall.

As I have sat here tonight savoring this beautiful day, I cannot help but reflect on what the Bible says about the smell of things.

II Corinthians 2:15
For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.

Our life is an offering to our precious heavenly Father. We decide each day what we will smell like. Will we offer up our time for His plan or will we hold on to all of those things that we consider a must? Will we offer ourselves, spouses, children, and other relationships to God to use as He sees best, or will we do what we see is in their best interest?

Denying myself and my plans causes a great struggle within me. On one hand I could give you many great explanations for why I am this way, but, ultimately, it comes down to a rebelious spirit. It is easier to control than surrender.


What an amazing gift that we can offer to God! That others would be drawn to Him because of the sweet smell of our life, our offering, to Him. When God inhales the aroma of you, His child, is He pleased with the aroma? Or does He find that we have an odor?


Do those we come in contact each day find the aroma of our lives a savory delight or a pungent stench that repulses? Do we draw others to Christ or send them scurrying in the opposite direction?


Lord, let my life's offering draw others to you. When you inhale, Father, be glorified. When you exhale, let me inhale the sweet peace of your presence. I love you, Lord!








No comments: